Doctor Who

dendoc

I'm in the process of uploading my Dr Who remix.

London Symphony Orchestra playing the origianl TV theme, and a techno mix during ball lock and multiball. I've kept the original end of ball themes as these are hard to duplicate, but the game music sounds great. Had to zip the files, but I'll have to see if they ended up in the right folders. I've sorted how to use the pinsound card and USB, now have sort out this sharing thing!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The voltages seem to be a pretty steady 4.94v and 25v at the fuse. I've tried it with the sub disconnected, or with the volume turned almost off, and it still behaves the same. It's strange, as just booting up, the pinsound plays the startup chime, then interrupts it, and plays it a second time... then the first time I hit start, or even just press the volume button, the chime plays yet again...  I've swapped it for another pinsound board and they both consistently behave this way. 

I am wondering if the recommend USB might be too slow. I've tried swapping it with a different of the same type - both are quite hot when I pull them out. I'm wondering if there's too much data in the sound package, and its causing the USB to malfunction, leading to a crash. I ordered a Samsung 150MB/s, which is a bit faster, to see if that has any affect.

It will do an hour long conversion just fine, with no resets or anything... as soon as it tries to play the Doctor in the Tardis though, kaboom.

So it looks like my board did slowly die a painful death, but there's also something going on here. My new pinsound plus just arrived and was doing the same restart loop when using Doctor in the Tardis. It seems perfectly fine with the "stock" audio package. Nicolas mentioned something about finding a bug related to my issues, and plans to push a firmware fix out for it soon... but I have no idea what's causing it or why it would affect me and noone else.

I've swapped a complete set of boards out today, between a complete PinLED system and the original WPC boards... both sets of boards give me the issues with the pinsound. Currently running the stock sound package I guess until the fix is out... fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you are not alone.  Just installed a new PinSound+ in my Doctor Who and am seeing the same issue with some of the mixes.

Actually deleted the 'Doctorin' The Tardis' mix after reading this, but that did not actually resolve the problem.  If I leave a mix selected, it appears to behave but if I try to select a different mix (running the volume to zero) it will not change the selected mix and if I try it again it triggers the 'scanning USB' message.  I seem to be 'stuck' on the "modern" mix at the moment.

Don't suspect USB drive speed as this is a USB 3.0 device that came with the kit.  I have noticed that if I take the USB drive to my PC following the 'scanning USB' prompt it will indicate that there is an error on the drive and offer to scan/repair it (Windows 10), but if I let it do so it reports "no error found" following the scan.  Not sure what's up with that.

Also seems that levels on the voice callouts in the mix seem quite low compared to the music tracks.  Trying to see if I can level that out through the equalizer settings.

• 1 month later...

Same problem here. The original mix works fine with my newly installed Pinsound+. Unfortunately, the “modern” and “doctor in the tardis” mixes cause the board to enter a scanning USB deadend loop despite a successful upload. I also noted that the USB drive gets very hot, which is unexpected. 

Is there an update on a possible firmware fix?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Just ordered a Pinsound + for my Doctor Who and some FF speakers and stereo wires. I was able to download the original from Pinsound and save it to a thumb drive. Next is some of these custom mixes, I have seen on Youtube and Pinside.  Thanks to who ever did the tutorial on youtube. I am following every step, so far. My board just left France and is heading to Washington DC. EXTERMINATE!!!